Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Dreaming about a sustainable community

I recently purchased 62 acres with the dream of creating a sustainable place for creative retreat, reflection, possible writing, experimenting with architecture and landscape to discover new ways to build in our world; a place that can become a social gathering spot, where school groups or the public could come to enjoy nature and learn about how we touch the land. I begin this blog with an invitation to walk with me on this journey, to help me explore the posibilities of the land, and to help me do a better job. Over the next few days I will be posting more of my initial vision and some specifics about the land. I look forward to hearing from you. tom

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tom, my sister Kristen Bason forwarded me your email regarding next steps for a sustainable use for your land. I work as a consultant for ICF International, working for their EPA ENERGY STAR Home Program, and I currently chair the Sustainable Building Committee (SBC) for the Builders Association of Greater Boston (BAGB), I would like to assist you in your quest for a sustainable use for your land. I am currently a candidate for an Environmental Sustainability Degree from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Please let me know how I can be of service down the path of sustainability.

Unknown said...

You can reach me at mberry@icfi.com.

Tom said...

Michael-I have shared my original vision on the latest update. Any thoughts you have regarding all or parts of the vision would be appreciated. Any experiences with specific products, processes, or designs will be looked at. There is a lot of good information out there, and our firm has begun implementing sustainable ideas on nearly every community we design.
This journey is to push the envelop even more; to try new ways of doing things. One of the reasons I choose the location is because there are no building codes; we can experiemnt as much as we want in both the architecture and the site.